Tuition Fee Calculator
Procedure for Determining Fees for Custom Units
Murdoch University offers the opportunity to include individually tailored studies in many of its Coursework degrees. This might take the form of a single Independent Study Contract (http://our.murdoch.edu.au/Student-life/Get-organised/Organising-your-enrolment/Independent-study-contracts/) in an undergraduate degree, or may comprise the entire content of an Honours degree.
In addition, from time to time a "Special Topic" unit may be offered at short notice, to respond to a topical issue or to take advantage of a visiting Academic's expertise.
This statement describes the procedures used to make these Custom Units available for enrolment, and how the applicable fee rates can be determined.
- Where a need for a Custom Unit is identified, one or more Unit Codes will be assigned for this purpose. The Unit Codes will reflect the broad disciplinary area and level of the studies.
Example: PSY295 represents a second-year Independent Study Contract in Psychology.
- Each Unit Code will be associated with a primary Field of Education or Discipline Band, which will form the basis for determination of fee rates. Fee rates are classified for the following types of student:
- Each Unit Code will have a default Credit Point value. In some cases, it will be possible for a student to enrol in a unit for a different number of Credit Points (for example, where an Honours Dissertation taken over two years is split into two separate Unit enrolments). Fees are calculated per enrolled Credit Point.
- Unit codes may include a suffix to indicate the Credit Point value if different to the default Credit Point value.
Example: PSY295-02 represents a second-year Independent Study Contract in Psychology for 2 Credit Points. PSY295-03 represents a second-year Independent Study Contract in Psychology for 3 Credit Points
- Independent Study Contracts will potentially be available in all Standard University Teaching Periods, i.e. S1, S2, SUM, Y, H, W, T1, T2, T3. Special Topic units will potentially be available in any Standard University Teaching Period, or any other University teaching period according to the particular requirements of the topic.
- On occasion, approval may be given to offer multiple instances of the same Unit simultaneously. In such cases, a new Unit Code will be assigned to the additional offerings, comprising the original (base) Unit Code with an additional digit appended.
Example: a student undertaking two second-year Independent Study Contracts in Psychology would enrol in PSY295 and PSY2951.
The Field of Education associated with the additional unit will be as per the base Unit Code, and hence fees will be determined in exactly the same way.