Handbook Public View

This page displays current curriculum information. For staff view, please login

Bachelor Studies: a General Guide

The following information should be read in conjunction with Study at Murdoch: A General Guide in this Handbook. It is important that students also read the legislation relevant to their studies so that they are familiar with all of the requirements; for guidance refer to the University Regulation section of this Handbook. 

Further information on all of these topics can be obtained from The Student Centre.

Structure of Undergraduate Bachelor Degrees

Bachelor Degree Course descriptions and requirements appear in the Bachelor and Honours Degrees section of this Handbook.

Murdoch offers Bachelor Degrees of three- or four-year duration, the time taken to complete the degree when studying full time.

A three-year degree normally requires 72 credit points and a four-year degree 96 credit points. A full-time student normally enrols for 12 credit points in each semester, or 24 credit points in each academic year.

Murdoch University introduced new undergraduate Degree Courses in 2014. This degree framework is structured around three key elements: transition to university; research skills; and depth and breadth of study. Each course provides students with depth of knowledge and skills in at least one major area of study. Students studying part-time in pre-2014 courses will progressively be encouraged to transfer to the equivalent post-2014 course.

The Bachelor Degree comprises two Parts.

Part I

Part I is the first academic year of the degree for a full-time student. It introduces students to university-level studies and provides a basis upon which studies in Part II are built. Where the course structure is not fully prescribed, it allows students to develop their interests by enrolling in elective units.

Part I requires a student to satisfactorily complete:

  • the relevant Transition Unit or a Foundation Unit
  • the Part I required Units of their primary Major
  • normally a total of 24 Credit Points, although courses can require from 18 to 30 Credit Points (including Advanced Standing for previous studies)
  • the 100-level Breadth Unit required by the course
  • the Murdoch Academic Passport.

Part I students must pass a Transition or Foundation Unit and normally have accumulated 18 credit points before they can enrol in any Part II unit. Exemption from the requirement to complete a Foundation or Transition Unit may be given only if a student has been granted 24 or more credit points of Advanced Standing on the basis of previous studies elsewhere, or has at least 18 points of Advanced Standing and has previously passed a unit offered by another institution deemed by the relevant Academic Chair to be similar to a Murdoch University Foundation or Transition Unit. Students may request advanced standing via the form at:


All students are also required to complete the Murdoch Academic Passport module during their first teaching period at Murdoch University, as a condition of being able to re-enrol in the following teaching period.

Part II

Part II comprises the remainder of the degree and consists of more specialised study.

Part II requires a student to satisfactorily complete:

  • the units required for Part II of the Course and Major in which they are enrolled
  • the total credit points required for the course

    plus for post-2014 Courses:

  • the 200- and 300-level Research Units
  • two University-Wide Breadth Units (unless specifically waived as a degree requirement).

A student must also complete any further requirements for the course.

Undergraduate Admission Requirements

Applicants who satisfy the requirements detailed below are eligible for consideration to be offered a place; it does not guarantee that a place will be offered.

Applications for undergraduate study are considered in two groups: School Leavers and Non-School Leavers, where the fundamental difference is the age of the applicant.

Further information on the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) referred to below can be obtained from:


School Leavers (Recent School Completion)

A school leaver is a person who

  • will be under 20 years of age on 1 March in the year of admission for admission at the beginning of the year or 1 August for mid-year admission, and
  • has not previously attempted (whether successful or not) any part of a qualification at a recognised tertiary/post-secondary institution.

School leavers will be considered on the basis of secondary education from Western Australia, interstate or overseas.

Western Australian School Leavers

Applications will be considered from applicants who have:

a) completed the final two years of secondary education (Years 11 and 12) as defined by the School Curriculum and Standards Authority (SCSA) of Western Australia and obtained the Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE): see



b) demonstrated English language competence through achieving either of the following:

(i) a combined scaled score of 50 or more in ATAR English, ATAR Literature or ATAR English as an Additional Language/Dialect for those who are eligible to take this subject;
(ii) an equivalent level of English language competence as approved by the Committee on University Entrance: see
Applicants with overseas qualification are required to provide satisfactory evidence of their competence in English via approved assessment (for minimum English competency requirements, see ‘Interstate/International School Leavers’ below);


c) achieved an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR), or its equivalent as approved by the Committee on University Entrance, which qualifies them for a place in a course.

Applications will also be considered under these criteria from those who have concluded their secondary schooling without satisfying (a) and (b) above but who have subsequently achieved satisfactory performance in a formal qualification at a recognised tertiary institution.

Applicants who meet the age requirement but who do not satisfy the other requirements above will not normally be eligible for entry to Murdoch University. Further information and counselling as to the options that are available can be obtained from The Student Centre, or refer to the OnTrack web site and check the Courses section of this Handbook for details of University Preparation courses.

Interstate/International School Leavers

Applications will be considered from any applicant who has completed an equivalent final year of secondary school interstate or overseas. For minimum entry requirements, see:


Applicants with qualifications from overseas will be required to provide satisfactory evidence of their competence in English via an approved examination. For minimum English competency requirements, see:


Applicants who are under 20 years of age on 1 March in the year of admission but who have met the criteria above (or its interstate or overseas equivalent as approved by the Committee on University Entrance) and successfully completed studies at a tertiary institution may be considered for entrance as Non-School Leaver applicants under the guidelines below.

Non-School Leavers

Applications are welcomed from applicants who can present evidence that demonstrates capacity for tertiary study.

Applicants at least 20 years of age on 1 March in the year of admission (or 1 August for mid-year admission) may meet entry requirements through any of the following options:

a) Achievement of the requirements for School Leaver entry; or

b) Satisfactory performance in the ‘mature age’ ATAR; or

c) Satisfactory performance in a formal qualification at a recognised tertiary institution; or

d) Completion of a qualification at the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Certificate IV level or above together with demonstrated English language competence through achieving either of the following:

(1) a combined scaled score of 50 or more in ATAR English, ATAR Literature or ATAR English as an Additional Language/Dialect for those who are eligible to take this subject or

(2) an equivalent level of English language competence as approved by the Committee on University Entrance: see



e) Satisfactory performance in both the Written and either of the Verbal or Quantitative components of the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT); or

f) Acceptable work experience; or

g) A detailed personal submission and resume of their occupational, educational and personal experience that may indicate their capacity for tertiary study; note that very few applicants gain admission by this method alone; or

h) Completion of a University Preparation course offered by Murdoch University; or

i) Other criteria defined as acceptable by the Committee on University Entrance.

In addition to meeting the above requirements, all Non-School Leaver applicants are encouraged to submit a one-page personal statement with their application. The statement should address the following:

  • Why the applicant wishes to study the Murdoch course for which they are applying.
  • Why the applicant will be able to study successfully at Murdoch University.
  • How the applicant plans to apply the knowledge and skills gained from their studies.
  • If the applicant has any fails or late withdrawals from previous tertiary or post-secondary studies, the reasons for the unsatisfactory performance and if those conditions still exist.
  • Any other relevant information that strengthens the application, such as work experience in the field of study.

Applicants for restricted courses (including Veterinary Science) applying through options (b) to (i) must submit a personal statement. A full list of restricted courses can be obtained from The Student Centre.

Murdoch University reserves the right to limit the number of places available in all courses for Australian citizens, permanent residents and international students.


Except for the English competency requirement (ATAR English or equivalent), there are no subject prerequisites for admission to undergraduate courses. Some first year units, particularly in Science, assume successful completion of relevant Year 12 (or equivalent) subjects; however, appropriate preparatory units are available if this is not the case.

All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need Internet access: see Internet Access Requirements in the Study at Murdoch section in this Handbook:


Application Process

Domestic Applicants

Domestic applicants are applicants who are Australian citizens, permanent residents of Australia, or New Zealand citizens who are eligible for admission to a Commonwealth-Supported place. All other applicants should refer to International Applicants below.

Entry into Semester 1 (Beginning of Year)

Applications are made online through the Tertiary Institutions Service Centre (TISC). A ‘TISC Guide’ may be purchased from TISC; all information in the Guide is available on the TISC web site.


Only one application is submitted. Applicants may nominate up to six courses in order of preference at one or more of the participating tertiary institutions (Murdoch University, Curtin University, Edith Cowan University, University of Western Australia).

First Round Offers: Applications should be lodged by the last Friday in September of the year preceding admission. However, applications will be accepted until the end of November upon payment of a late fee, and still be considered in the first round of offers.

Second Round Offers: Applications may be accepted after the end of November until late January in the year of admission and be considered for the second round of offers.

Contact details for TISC:

Tertiary Institutions Service Centre
100 Royal Street
East Perth WA 6004
Telephone (08) 9318 8000
Facsimile (08) 9225 7050

Entry into Semester 2 (Mid-Year)

Applications are made online directly to Murdoch University. All documents relating to the entry requirements of the Course should be submitted during the application process.

Please note that domestic applicants must complete some part of their course while resident in Australia to be eligible for a Commonwealth-Supported place, otherwise they will be liable for full fees.

Further information for domestic applicants is available at:


All applicants are required to keep an original or certified copies of any documentation submitted as part of their application. This may be required at a later date or be requested by the University as part of any admissions review or audit.


Applicants who have previously been enrolled at Murdoch University two or more semesters ago (even if no unit was completed) can apply for readmission through TISC.

Applicants for readmission who have previously been excluded from either a course or the University must provide a written statement addressing the grounds of the exclusion to demonstrate that they will be successful.

International Applicants

International applicants may apply to enrol at the University as full-fee-paying students. Most undergraduate courses are available for full-fee enrolment. Qualified students may apply to commence study in either Semester 1 (beginning of year) or Semester 2 (mid year). For information on how to apply, see:


All documents relating to the entry requirements of the Course should be uploaded and submitted during the application process.

All applicants are required to keep an original or certified copies of any documentation submitted as part of their application. This may be required at a later date or be requested by the University as part of any admissions review or audit.

Enquiries on tuition fees, eligibility and application procedures should be directed to the International Enquiries email address:


Information on financial assistance can be obtained through Australian Government diplomatic posts overseas.

Further information on applying to Murdoch is available at:


Transnational Applicants

Murdoch University offers both undergraduate and graduate-level courses with transnational institutions in Singapore (Kaplan Higher Education Institute and Kaplan Higher Education Academy) and Dubai (Murdoch University International Study Centre). Prospective students apply directly to the transnational partner. There are three intakes per year, in January, May and September.

Deferred Undergraduate Admission

Domestic and international applicants who are offered an undergraduate place at Murdoch University can defer their place for up to two years. A place will be held in the original course offered, unless the course is subsequently discontinued. Deferred places will be re-offered in the relevant admission period so it is important that changes of postal and email addresses are advised to the University.


Pre-2014 Courses:

In Bachelor-level Courses, an academically coherent grouping of Units approved by Academic Council that prescribes up to 12 Part I Credit Points (unless Academic Council has approved more), inclusive of a Foundation Unit, and 24 or more Part II Credit Points. All Bachelor degree Courses include at least one major, except for General Arts, which comprises three minors instead.

Post-2014 Courses:

An academically coherent sequence of Units approved by Academic Council that prescribes up to 18 Part I Credit Points for Group 1 Degree Courses and 3 to 9 Credit Points for Group 2 Degree Courses as set out in Schedule A2 of the Coursework Regulations (unless Academic Council has approved otherwise), and 18 or more Part II Credit Points. Unless otherwise exempted by Academic Council, all Majors include at least 9 Credit Points at 300 level. All Bachelor degree Courses include at least one Major. It is not possible to enrol in a post-2014 major while enrolled in a pre-2014 course, nor in a pre-2014 major while enrolled in a post-2014 course.

Double Majors

A double major is two separately approved majors undertaken while the student is enrolled in a single course.

Where units can be credited towards the requirements of two majors, at least 12 Part II Credit Points from each major for pre-2014 Courses, and at least 9 Part II Credit Points from each major for post-2014 Courses, cannot be counted towards the other.

Students may not complete a double major where the two majors include too few credit points of difference. These ‘Excluded Double Majors’ are recorded under the relevant course description in the Bachelor and Honours Degrees section of this Handbook.

Students may enrol in a maximum of two majors in a post-2014 course.

The teaching timetable does not clash classes for the popular double majors, but it is not possible to do so for all possible double major combinations.

Recommended Double Majors are included under the relevant course/major description in the Bachelor and Honours Degrees section of this Handbook. Further information can be seen on some School web sites:

School of Arts: http://goto.murdoch.edu.au/artsdouble
School of Engineering and Information Technology: http://goto.murdoch.edu.au/engineeringdouble
School of Veterinary and Life Sciences: http://goto.murdoch.edu.au/sciencedouble
Also see further information on School of Law Combined Degrees: http://goto.murdoch.edu.au/lawcombined

Transfers Between Majors

An enrolled undergraduate student can apply to transfer to any course and associated major. Where a restriction on admission to a major has been approved by Academic Council, particular conditions must be satisfied for the application to the approved. Transfer between pre-2014 majors is generally not permitted as these are being taught out and many units are no longer available. Applications to transfer majors that also involve a change in courses, or where the major is restricted, are considered at the end of each semester. See closing dates and application forms at:


Students may add and discontinue other, non-restricted majors that are not associated with their course at any time by lodging a request through MyAnswers. For further information refer to Unit Sets in Study at Murdoch: A General Guide above.

International student transfers will be processed at the end of the semester if the change in major requires a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) to be issued. Transnational student transfers are accepted mid-trimester and processed by the second week of the following trimester. Students should contact the transnational partner office for assistance.

Changes to the Structure of Majors

When there is a change to requirements of a major, students already enrolled in the major are not subject to any additional requirements. However, they may elect to meet the requirements of the new structure. This should be discussed with a Student Advisor.


In undergraduate courses, a minor is a prescribed academically coherent grouping of Units that requires completion of fewer points than a major. A minor can allow for specialisation or diversification.

Each Minor prescribes 12 Credit Points (or 15 Credit Points for certain Psychology minors), with no more than 6 Part I Credit Points and at least 6 Part II Credit Points. At least 6 Credit Points from Part II cannot be counted towards a Major or other Minor in which the student is enrolled.

Where there is excessive unit overlap between a major and a minor, or two minors, students are excluded from enrolling in that combination. These exclusions are listed in the Bachelor and Honours Degrees and Minors sections of this Handbook.

To complete a minor, a student must be enrolled in the minor before completing their course.

Students can manage their enrolment in minors through MyAnswers: for further information refer to Unit Sets in Study at Murdoch: A General Guide above.

For details of minors offered, refer to the Minors section of this Handbook.


Part I Credit Points in the Undergraduate Degree

A Bachelor’s Degree normally includes 24 Part I credit points, but it must include at least 18 and no more than 30 Part I credit points. If a student accumulates more than 30 Part I credit points, only 30 credit points will be used towards the course and degree requirements.

Enrolment in Part II Units while a Part I Student

A Part I student may not enrol in a Part II unit unless they have accumulated 18 credit points (including any Advanced Standing), passed a Transition or Foundation Unit, and completed the Murdoch Academic Passport. A student seeking to enrol in a Part II unit who has not satisfied this requirement must obtain approval of their Academic Chair by completing the 'Early Enrolment in Part II Units' application form, available at:


Transition and Foundation Units

Since new Degrees were introduced in 2014, students complete a Transition Unit in place of the Foundation Unit taken by students in pre-2014 Courses (students at Dubai or studying Psychology at Singapore will continue to take a Foundation Unit).

The primary purpose of these units is to enable new students to develop a range of generic skills in a context specific to their chosen degree. These units provide a foundation for subsequent university studies and a basis for the development of Murdoch University’s Graduate Attributes.

Students are required to take a Transition Unit (or a Foundation Unit in the case of Dubai and Singapore) in their first semester of enrolment. A student shall not normally enrol for credit in more than one Transition or Foundation Unit (in certain circumstances students enrolled in a Combined Course may be required to take a second Transition unit).

Transition Units

Bachelor of Arts: Academic Learning Skills (BAR100

Bachelor of Business: Academic Skills for Business (BBS100)

Bachelor of Education: Ideas in Education (BED100

Bachelor of Engineering: Transitioning into Engineering (BEN100)

Bachelor of Laws: Australian Legal System (BJU100

Bachelor of Nursing: Transition to Nursing Studies (BNR100)

Bachelor of Science: Building Blocks for Science Students (BSC100

Breadth Units

Murdoch University Bachelor degrees introduced from 2014 include Breadth Units. These units have been designed to provide students with the skills and understanding to analyse the world around them, and make a difference in their own lives and the lives of others.

Breadth Units for Degree

In Year 1, Breadth Units are specified for each Bachelor degree.

Bachelor of Arts: Ideas and Identity (BAR150)
Bachelor of Business: Transforming Business (BBS150)
Bachelor of Education: Understanding Teachers' Work (BED150)
Bachelor of Engineering: Design Concepts in Engineering (BEN150)
Bachelor of Laws: Law in Context (BJU150)
Bachelor of Nursing: Health and Human Behaviour (BNR150)
Bachelor of Science: What is Science? (BSC150)

University-Wide Breadth Units

For a list of all University-Wide Breadth Units, see

Fee Calculator
Handbook help
Information for Students


The University reserves the right to cancel, without notice, any course, major, minor or unit if the number of students enrolled falls below limits set by the University.

Regulations and Rules

Students should ensure they are familiar with the University's internal legislation, including provisions specifically relevant to their studies. See the University Regulation overview and view legislation online.