Handbook Public View

This page displays current curriculum information. For staff view, please login

Unit (2020)

Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2020 academic year.

Honours Thesis in Chemistry (CHE500)

Organisational Unit Chemistry and Physics
Credit Points 18
Availability MURDOCH: H-internal, Y-internal
Description The Honours year in Chemistry is a short, sharp, and hectic introduction into the process of generating and developing scientific knowledge within university and commercial research environments. As such, Honours students are required to develop a broad range of skills, in both practical chemistry and in communicating their results to a wider audience. In general the required writing, presentation, and critical thinking skills are at a significantly higher level than in the undergraduate program.
Unit Learning Outcomes 1. Plan, undertake and complete a research project in a defined area of study.
2. Relate and evaluate the outcomes of the research to relevant other studies in the area.
3. Communicate about this research process and outcomes to others in the scientific or policy and broader community.
Timetabled Learning Activities No formal timetabling. Literature review and research skills unit are usually scheduled for the first semester of the honours degree.
Unit Learning Experiences Students will engage in a range of un-timetabled learning tasks including laboratory work, reading, characterisation, critical analysis, thesis writing, seminars, and oral examination. However, the teaching of those skills tends to occur in much more informal manner/environment than in the undergraduate program.
Assessment Students will be assessed on their literature review (12.5% of total mark), research skills unit (12.5%) written thesis (25%), their final seminar (10%), an oral examination (10%) and assessment of their research performance by their supervisor (15%) and the Chemistry Honours Sub-Committee (15%). Students will receive significant support from their supervisor and at a minimum should expect feedback on a draft of their thesis from their supervisor prior to final submission.
Prerequisites Enrolment in Honours in Chemistry.
Previously 2014: CHE4009
Appears in these Courses/Majors:
see individual structures for context
Chemistry Honours (BSc(Hons))
Internet Access RequirementsMurdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.


Unit Coordinator
Dr Hans Oskierski
Lecturer Carbon Storage and Utilisation

Murdoch Campus
t: 9360 6609
e: H.Oskierski@murdoch.edu.au
o: 245.3.041 - Science and Computing, Murdoch Campus
Unit Contacts

MURDOCH: H-Internal
MURDOCH: Y-Internal
Dr Hans Oskierski
Lecturer Carbon Storage and Utilisation

Murdoch Campus
t: 9360 6609
e: H.Oskierski@murdoch.edu.au
o: 245.3.041 - Science and Computing, Murdoch Campus
Fee Calculator
Handbook help
Information for Students


The University reserves the right to cancel, without notice, any course, major, minor or unit if the number of students enrolled falls below limits set by the University.

Regulations and Rules

Students should ensure they are familiar with the University's internal legislation, including provisions specifically relevant to their studies. See the University Regulation overview and view legislation online.