Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2019 academic year.
Preclinical Practicum 2 (CHI486)
|Organisational Unit||Psychology, Counselling, Exercise Science and Chiropractic|
|Teaching Timetables||Murdoch S2
|Description||This unit will help students further develop their clinical and patient management skills so that the student may become a competent intern. The student will have the opportunity to integrate the previously acquired knowledge and improve their understanding of complex cases. During the semester, the student will start their clinical placement and will have direct interaction with patients within the Murdoch University Chiropractic Clinic setting under the direct supervision of experienced chiropractors and academics.|
|Unit Learning Outcomes||On successful completion of the unit the student should:
1. Demonstrate the capacity to perform a structured clinical history and physical examination of an adult, pregnant, and paediatric patient in the clinical environment.
2. Be able to formulate a working diagnosis and prognosis for patients consulted with at Murdoch University Chiropractic Clinic.
3. Understand and implement an appropriately structured management plan for patients cared for within Murdoch University Chiropractic Clinic.
4. Demonstrate a working knowledge of the clinical procedures and policies within Murdoch University Chiropractic Clinic by adhering to clinical policy and procedure.
5. Demonstrate the capacity to competently navigate through the electronic patient records management system (Visual Outcomes software) within Murdoch University Chiropractic Clinic.
6. Develop proficiency in manual therapy skills relating to the spine and extremities.
7. Demonstrate an understanding of the professional behaviours expected of a chiropractic intern
|Timetabled Learning Activities||Students undertake weekly clinical rotations for 3 hours per week to be scheduled in the Murdoch University Chiropractic Clinic.|
|Unit Learning Experiences||Semester 2 will provide the student the opportunity to integrate his/her acquired knowledge under the supervision of experienced clinicians and academics. Students will be introduced to the clinical management of patients while undertaking a clinical placement at the Murdoch University Chiropractic Clinic.|
|Assessment||1. Clinical Entrance Examination (theory II) (70%)
2. Mid-semester examination (written - 30 %),
3. Management Plans (pass / fail)
|Prerequisites||Enrolment in Chiropractic (BSc/BChiro), or Chiropractic Science + Clinical Chiropractic (BSc + BClinChiro), and successful completion of the following units
CHI 440 Clinical Radiology,
CHI456: Differential Diagnosis
CHI457: Clinical Biomechanics and
CHI485 Preclinical Practicum 1.
|Exclusions||Students who have successfully completed CHI4841 Pre-clinical Practicum may not enrol in this unit for credit.|
|Appears in these Courses/Majors:
see individual structures for context
|Internet Access Requirements||Murdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.|
|No co-ordinators found for this unit.||Unit Contacts|
|No contacts found for this unit.|