Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2019 academic year.
Professional Experience: Mathematics in Practice (EDN3102)
|School||School of Education|
|Availability||MURDOCH: S2E-internal, S2E-external|
|Description||The semester long unit includes a 10-day professional experience, which enables students to contextualise theory and practice under the guidance of an experienced mentor teacher. Students will complete tasks and participate in a number of lectures and workshops before, during and after the placement. The Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (Graduate Level) and the Mathematics WA Curriculum: Mathematics frame the unit outcomes and expectations.|
|Unit Learning Outcomes||On successful completion of this placement unit you should be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the concepts, substance and structure of the content and teaching strategies of Mathematics
2. Plan lesson sequences using knowledge of student learning, the content and effective teaching strategies and resources including ICT
3. Demonstrate the capacity to organise classroom activities, provide clear directions and manage challenging behaviour
4. Demonstrate timely and appropriate feedback to students about their learning, and understand the role of assessment in evaluating student learning and modifying teaching practice
5. Understand the role of evaluation of teaching programs to improve student learning
6. Obtain feedback from mentor teachers to support your learning and improve practice
7. Demonstrate an understanding of the role of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers in identifying professional learning needs
8. Demonstrate ethical practice
|Timetabled Learning Activities||There will be four lectures and four two hour workshops throughout the semester. One of the lectures and workshops will be timetabled after the school experience in order to review and reflect on the professional experience. Please see the Unit Information and LMS for on- campus lecture and workshop dates. The Professional experience dates are to be found on the School of Education Calendar.|
|Unit Learning Experiences||This third year unit links mathematics learning and teaching theory to practice. A range of topics and tasks that directly relate to classroom practice will be completed before and after the placement. This will provide opportunities for students to plan for, and reflect on the mathematical learning experiences they provided in their school experience.|
|Other Learning Experiences||This unit requires a compulsory two week full-time block placement. A range of tasks will be completed before, during and after the placement.|
|Assessment||There are two components of assessment for this unit.
1. Formative assessment on placement involves feedback from onsite mentor. A self-assessment report is completed at the end of first week, discussed with mentor teacher and submitted to professional experience office. Students at risk of failing are identified early and an external mentor assigned to support, observe and assess. A final summative assessment report submitted based on pre-service teachers ability to address identified APSTs/ MGAs
2. In addition assessment tasks will be carried out prior to and subsequent t the Professional Experience.
|Prerequisites||Enrolment in BEd (Primary), BEd (Early Childhood and Primary), BEd (Early Childhood 0 - 8), BEd (Primary, Years 1 to 10 Health and Physical Education), BEd/BA (Australian Indigenous Studies), BEd (Secondary) or BEd Primary Graduate (Two Years).
Successful completion of EDN2104 Professional Experience: English in Practice and EDN351 Teaching Mathematics in Primary School.
|Exclusions||Students who have successfully completed EDN3100 Professional Experience: BEd Primary may not take this unit for credit.|
|Notes||Prior to placement in any school for Professional Experience, it is mandatory that pre-service teachers complete or obtain several forms and clearances.
Information and forms regarding these mandatory requirements can be accessed via the Professional Experience website: http://www.murdoch.edu.au/School-of-Education/Professional-Experience
Completion and submission of these mandatory requirements is essential before placements can be arranged.
|Assessment||A result of Ungraded Pass or Fail is awarded for this unit.|
|Appears in these Courses/Majors:
see individual structures for context
|Internet Access Requirements||Murdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.|
Mrs Lorraine Jacob
t: 9360 2626
o: 450.3.015 - Education and Humanities, Murdoch Campus
Dr Kai Fai Ho
Lecturer in Education
t: 9360 2677
o: 450.4.012 - Education and Humanities, Murdoch Campus