Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2020 academic year.
Professional Experience Secondary Teaching (EDN340)
|Availability||MURDOCH: S2E-internal, S2E-external|
|Description||This semester long unit includes a 15-day block placement in the students' Minor Teaching Area. Online tasks are to be completed before and after the professional experience. A mandatory preparatory meeting is held prior to the professional experience (arrangements will be made for external students to participate in this).|
|Unit Learning Outcomes||On successful completion of the unit PSTs should be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of physical, social and intellectual development and characteristics of students and how these may affect learning
2. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the concepts, substance and structure of the content and teaching strategies of the teaching area (Minor Teaching Area )
3. Organise content into an effective learning and teaching sequence
4. Plan lesson sequences using knowledge of student learning, content and effective teaching strategies
5. Include a range of teaching strategies
6. Demonstrate knowledge of a range of resources including ICT to engage students
7. Demonstrate the capacity to organise classroom activities and provide clear directions
8. Demonstrate understanding of assessment strategies to assess learning
|Timetabled Learning Activities|
|Unit Learning Experiences||Online tasks in this unit are designed to strengthen teaching skills in preparation of your Professional Experience.
Professional Experience in this unit, provides the opportunity for learning by observation, teaching, interacting with students and staff, and further exploring a variety of aspects in the functioning of a school. In this context, students are encouraged to critically reflect on what they experience and evaluate their own practices. It enables PSTs to contextualise theory within practice.
|Other Learning Experiences||Online tasks, 15-day block placement in a school and one meeting before the placement is to be undertaken.|
|Assessment||Assessment is Ungraded Pass/Fail. All online tasks must be completed to an acceptable standard in order to pass the unit.
During the Professional Experience, formative feedback will be completed with a Midway Self-Evaluation Report, completed by the student and discussed with the Mentor Teacher to ensure accuracy. Ongoing feedback will be provided by the Mentor, throughout the Professional Experience.
At the end of the Professional Experience, the Mentor will submit a Pass/Fail summative assessment to identify the extent to which students have addressed the required Australian Graduate Teacher Standards (AGSTs) and Murdoch Graduate Attributes (MGA).
|Prerequisites||Enrolment in a Bachelor of Education (Secondary); successful completion of EDN2101 Professional Experience: BEd Secondary Teaching. Students must be currently enrolled in or have successfully completed the relevant Curriculum unit to be eligible for this placement in schools.|
|Assessment||A result of Ungraded Pass or Fail is awarded for this unit.|
|Appears in these Courses/Majors:
see individual structures for context
|Internet Access Requirements||Murdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.|