Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2019 academic year.
Professional Experience: Perspectives on Curriculum (EDN465)
|Description||This unit is a full-time 10-day block placement in a school that is undertaken in the students' major curriculum area. This professional experience enables students to contextualise theory under the guidance of a school mentor. The AITSL standards frame the unit outcomes and expectations. Students must be currently enrolled in, or have successfully completed, the relevant major curriculum unit to be eligible for this placement in schools.|
|Unit Learning Outcomes||The students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of physical, social & intellectual development & characteristics of students & how these may affect learning.
2. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of strategies for differentiating teaching to meet the specific learning needs of students across the full range of abilities.
3 Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the concepts, substance and structure of the content and teaching area.
4. Organise content into an effective learning and teaching sequence.
5. Plan lesson sequences using knowledge of student learning, content and effective teaching strategies.
6. Include a range of teaching strategies.
7. Demonstrate knowledge of a range of resources, including ICT, that engage students in their learning.
8. Demonstrate a range of verbal and nonverbal communication strategies to support student engagement.
9. Identify strategies to support inclusive student participation and engagement in classroom activities.
10. Demonstrate the capacity to organise classroom activities and provide clear directions.
11. Demonstrate understanding of assessment strategies to assess learning.
12. Demonstrate understanding of the purpose of providing timely and appropriate feedback to students about their learning.
13. Demonstrate an understanding of the role of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers in identifying professional learning needs.
|Timetabled Learning Activities||Students will participate in online activities through LMS including an Introductory lecture.|
|Unit Learning Experiences||The pre-service teachers are expected to complete the following tasks:
- Contact schools, meet with mentor
- Organise and negotiate a timetable to ensure that teaching times, team teaching time and preparation time is explicit for all stakeholders
- Organise a teaching file that is easily accessed and reflects the placement requirements
- Utilise the WA Schools Curriculum and Standards Authority curriculum planning resources and Scootle to assist in the planning process
- Incorporate a range of classroom management strategies into their practice
- Be creative in the way that they plan and deliver lessons to connect with students
- Begin a professional portfolio using the Professional Standards as terms of reference (eportfolio) or http://www.aitsl.edu.au/australian-professional-standards-for-teachers/my-standards-application
- Reflect on their practice using the AITSL Professional Standards
|Other Learning Experiences||This is a 10 day full-time block placement.|
|Assessment||This is a Pass/Fail unit based on the student's performance in participating in online activities prior to the Placement and in a school context. Criteria for assessment have been based on AITSL graduate standards.|
|Prerequisites||Enrolment in B1328/B1329 Bachelor of Education (Secondary Teaching Combined) and successful completion of EDU101/EDU1011 Introduction to Teaching or BED150/EDN112/EDN1121 Understanding Teachers' Work and successful completion of, or concurrent enrolment in a relevant curriculum major unit, OR Enrolment in B1319 Bachelor of Education (Primary 1-10 HPE Major) and successful completion of EDU101/EDU1011 Introduction to Teaching or BED150/EDN112/EDN1121 Understanding Teachers' Work as well as successful completion of EDN2104 Professional Experience: BEd Primary plus successful completion of, or concurrent enrolment in EDN464.|
|Exclusions||Students who have successfully completed EDN4103 may not enrol in this unit for credit.|
|Notes||Prior to placement in any school for Professional Experience, it is mandatory that pre-service teachers complete or obtain several forms and clearances. Information and forms regarding these mandatory requirements can be accessed via the Professional Experience website: http://www.murdoch.edu.au/School-of-Education/Professional-Experience
Completion and submission of these mandatory requirements is essential before placements can be arranged.
AssessmentThis is a Pass/Fail unit based on the student's performance in participating in online activities prior to the Placement and in a school context. Criteria for assessment have been based on AITSL graduate standards.
|Assessment||A result of Ungraded Pass or Fail is awarded for this unit.|
|Previously||2014: 'Perspectives on Curriculum'|
|Appears in these Courses/Majors:
see individual structures for context
|Internet Access Requirements||Murdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.|
|No co-ordinators found for this unit.||Unit Contacts|
|No contacts found for this unit.|