Handbook Public View

This page displays current curriculum information. For staff view, please login

Unit (2019)

Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2019 academic year.

Fundamentals of Computer Systems (ICT106)

Organisational Unit Information Technology, Mathematics and Statistics
Credit Points 3
Description This unit provides an overview of the hardware and software of computer systems and introduces a number of important topics in computer science: overview of computer system architecture; computer memory, information representation and storage; execution of instructions including ALU, registers, instruction sets, fetch/execution cycle, addressing modes; concepts of software and hardware interrupts, introduction to operating system principles -- process management, memory management and file management; Arduino and C language programming.
Unit Learning Outcomes On successful completion of the unit, you should be able to:
1. describe the fundamental concepts of computer systems with reference to the hardware, software and operating system
2. understand and write programs in the C language
3. understand how high-level languages are executed at the hardware layer of a computer
4. understand and write programs that allow the Arduino platform to interact with its environment
Timetabled Learning Activities Lectures: 2 hours per week; Laboratory/workshop: 2 hours per week.
Unit Learning Experiences The approach to learning in this unit involves the use of traditional lectures alongside workshops and electronic resources. There is a 2-hour lecture each week that will cover the theoretical content of the topic. This is complemented by a 2-hour workshop/laboratory each week that will provide practical instruction in microcontrollers and C programming and assessment. Lecture recordings will be made available on LMS. All essential readings will be available electronically. The workshops are designed specifically to be interactive and include opportunity for interaction with a tutor and other students in the unit.
Assessment Assessment in this unit will involve several different tasks. There are assessments based on the workshop exercises each week, worth a total of 10%. There will be two assignments, with a combined weighting of 40%. The first assignment is an individual Project using the Arduino platform and C Programming Language. The second assignment is a group Project using the Arduino platform and C Programming Language. The final 50 % of the assessment in the unit will be a closed book examination that will address the theoretical component of the unit. All students will have access to a tutor who will be their primary source of feedback on their progress in the unit.
Prerequisites ICT102 Introduction to Computer Science.
Appears in these Courses/Majors:
see individual structures for context
Internet Access RequirementsMurdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.

Contacts

Unit Coordinator
No co-ordinators found for this unit.
Unit Contacts
No contacts found for this unit.
Fee Calculator
Handbook help
Information for Students

Cancellation

The University reserves the right to cancel, without notice, any course, major, minor or unit if the number of students enrolled falls below limits set by the University.


Regulations and Rules

Students should ensure they are familiar with the University's internal legislation, including provisions specifically relevant to their studies. See the University Regulation overview and view legislation online.