Handbook Public View

This page displays current curriculum information. For staff view, please login

Unit (2019)

Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2019 academic year.

Foundations of Computer Systems (ICT170)

School School of Engineering and Information Technology
Credit Points 3
Availability MURDOCH: S2-internal, S2-external
DUBAI-ISC: TMD-internal
Teaching Timetables Murdoch S2
Description This unit introduces students to the fundamentals of computer systems and how they underpin IT infrastructures supporting enterprise processes. Topics include digital logic, memory, storage, processing paradigms, operating systems, programming languages, systems development, deployment and professional ethics. Students will acquire understanding of a computer system's functional components, their characteristics, performance, interactions and use in IT, plus an appreciation of the role of the IT professional in IT systems.
Unit Learning Outcomes On successful completion of the unit, you should be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the context in which computer systems exist and the purposes for which they are designed and built
2. Describe the fundamental concepts of computer systems with reference to the hardware and software
3. Demonstrate an understanding of how a modern computer systems are built
4. Demonstrate an understanding of how computer languages are executed at the hardware layer of a computer
5. Describe the major roles played by IT professionals and how they relate to computer systems
Timetabled Learning Activities Lectures: 1 x 2 hours per week; computer laboratories: 1 x 2 hours per week.
All offerings of this unit include the equivalent of 30 hours of structured learning.
Unit Learning Experiences The approach to learning in this unit involves the use of traditional lectures alongside workshops and electronic resources. There is a 2-hour lecture each week that will cover the theoretical content of the topic. This is complemented by a 2-hour workshop each week that will provide practical instruction and assessment. Lecture recordings will be made available on LMS. All essential readings will be available electronically. The Workshops are designed specifically to be interactive and include opportunity for interaction with a tutor and other students in the unit, regardless of your mode of enrolment. Online discussion forums will be made available for all students.
Assessment Assessment in this unit will involve several different tasks. There will be online exercises based on the workshop exercises each week, worth a total of 10%. There will be two assignments, with a combined weighting of 40%. The first assignment will address the fundamentals of computer systems and the second will take a broader view of computer systems and their role in larger systems. The final 50 % of the assessment in the unit will be a closed book examination that will address the theoretical component of the unit. All students will have access to a tutor who will be their primary source of feedback on their progress in the unit.
Prerequisites Nil.
Exclusions Students who have successfully completed ICT106 Fundamentals of Computer Systems may not enrol in this unit for credit.
Appears in these Courses/Majors:
see individual structures for context
Business Information Systems (BSc) [New in 2014]
Computer Science (BSc) [New in 2014]
Cyber Security and Forensics (BSc) [New in 2014]
Games Software Design and Production (BSc) [New in 2014]
Games Technology (BSc) [New in 2014]
Internetworking and Network Security (BSc) [New in 2014]
Mobile and Web Application Development (BSc) [New in 2014]
Internet Access RequirementsMurdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.
Foundations of Computer Systems (ICT1701) - as for ICT170 except as follows
School School of Engineering and Information Technology
Credit Points 3
Availability DUBAI-ISC: TMD-internal
Description This unit introduces students to the fundamentals of computer systems and how they underpin IT infrastructures supporting enterprise processes. Topics include digital logic, memory, storage, processing paradigms, operating systems, programming languages, systems development, deployment and professional ethics. Students will acquire understanding of a computer system's functional components, their characteristics, performance, interactions and use in IT, plus an appreciation of the role of the IT professional in IT systems.
Unit Learning Outcomes On successful completion of the unit, you should be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the context in which computer systems exist and the purposes for which they are designed and built
2. Describe the fundamental concepts of computer systems with reference to the hardware and software
3. Demonstrate an understanding of how a modern computer systems are built
4. Demonstrate an understanding of how computer languages are executed at the hardware layer of a computer
5. Describe the major roles played by IT professionals and how they relate to computer systems
Timetabled Learning Activities Lectures: 1 x 2 hours per week; computer laboratories: 1 x 2 hours per week.
All offerings of this unit include the equivalent of 30 hours of structured learning.
Unit Learning Experiences The approach to learning in this unit involves the use of traditional lectures alongside workshops and electronic resources. There is a 2-hour lecture each week that will cover the theoretical content of the topic. This is complemented by a 2-hour workshop each week that will provide practical instruction and assessment. Lecture recordings will be made available on LMS. All essential readings will be available electronically. The Workshops are designed specifically to be interactive and include opportunity for interaction with a tutor and other students in the unit, regardless of your mode of enrolment. Online discussion forums will be made available for all students.
Assessment Assessment in this unit will involve several different tasks. There will be online exercises based on the workshop exercises each week, worth a total of 10%. There will be two assignments, with a combined weighting of 40%. The first assignment will address the fundamentals of computer systems and the second will take a broader view of computer systems and their role in larger systems. The final 50 % of the assessment in the unit will be a closed book examination that will address the theoretical component of the unit. All students will have access to a tutor who will be their primary source of feedback on their progress in the unit.
Prerequisites Nil.
Exclusions Students who have successfully completed ICT106 Fundamentals of Computer Systems may not enrol in this unit for credit.
Appears in these Courses/Majors:
see individual structures for context
Diploma of Information Technology [New in 2019]
Internet Access RequirementsMurdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.

Contacts

Unit Coordinator
ICT170
Dr Ferdous Sohel
Senior Lecturer

Murdoch Campus
t: 9360 2059
e: F.Sohel@murdoch.edu.au
o: 245.1.018 - Science and Computing, Murdoch Campus
Unit Contacts
ICT170

DUBAI-ISC: TMD-Internal
MURDOCH: S2-External
MURDOCH: S2-Internal
Dr Ferdous Sohel
Senior Lecturer

Murdoch Campus
t: 9360 2059
e: F.Sohel@murdoch.edu.au
o: 245.1.018 - Science and Computing, Murdoch Campus
ICT1701

DUBAI-ISC: TMD-Internal
Dr Ferdous Sohel
Senior Lecturer

Murdoch Campus
t: 9360 2059
e: F.Sohel@murdoch.edu.au
o: 245.1.018 - Science and Computing, Murdoch Campus
Fee Calculator
Handbook help
Information for Students

Cancellation

The University reserves the right to cancel, without notice, any course, major, minor or unit if the number of students enrolled falls below limits set by the University.


Regulations and Rules

Students should ensure they are familiar with the University's internal legislation, including provisions specifically relevant to their studies. See the University Regulation overview and view legislation online.