Handbook Public View

This page displays current curriculum information. For staff view, please login

Unit (2020)

Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2020 academic year.

Network Security (ICT377)

Organisational Unit Information Technology, Mathematics and Statistics
Credit Points 3
Availability MURDOCH: S1-internal
Teaching Timetables Murdoch S1
Description The unit examines current security threats to organisations and the necessary security processes required to mitigate these threats. Topics covered include: security policy design and management; security technologies, products and solutions, firewall and secure router design, installation, configuration and maintenance; AAA implementation using routers and firewalls; and virtual private networks.
Unit Learning Outcomes On successful completion of the unit you should be able to:
1. Develop practical application of skills needed to design, implement, and support network security.
2. Identify and describe network security principles.
3. Design and implement a secure network infrastructure.
4. Extend security and availability with cryptography and VPNs.
Timetabled Learning Activities Lectures: 1 x 2 hours per week; tutorials: 1 x 2 hours per week.
Unit Learning Experiences You will learn in lecture and labs; the lectures will cover core security technologies and the installation, troubleshooting and monitoring of network devices to maintain integrity, confidentiality and availability of data and devices. The labs provide you with the opportunity to implement the theory discussed in the lectures. A case study is used to provide you with a platform to apply the skills that you have learnt during the semester and emphasises techniques that you would use in medium to large networks. This unit will cover significant portions of the globally recognised Cisco CCNA Security and CCNP Security Certification Curriculums.
Assessment You will have several assessment tasks to complete. There are weekly in class exercises which address the material covered in the current topic (collectively worth 20%). A case study is used to allow students to bring together the theory and practical skills learnt during to semester. A practical exam weighted 30% will focus on the skills which students should have learnt while completing the case study. The final examination will focus on theory addressed in the unit and is worth 50%.
Prerequisites ICT120 Principles of Data Communications OR ICT291 Network Design and Implementation.
Exclusions ICT362 Network Security.
Appears in these Courses/Majors:
see individual structures for context
Internetworking and Network Security (BSc) [New in 2014]
Appears in these Minors Network Security
Internet Access RequirementsMurdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.


Unit Coordinator
Dr Mike Dixon
Senior Lecturer Telecommunications Management

Murdoch Campus
t: 9360 6086
e: M.Dixon@murdoch.edu.au
o: 245.1.023 - Science and Computing, Murdoch Campus
Unit Contacts

MURDOCH: S1-Internal
Dr Mike Dixon
Senior Lecturer Telecommunications Management

Murdoch Campus
t: 9360 6086
e: M.Dixon@murdoch.edu.au
o: 245.1.023 - Science and Computing, Murdoch Campus
Fee Calculator
Handbook help
Information for Students


The University reserves the right to cancel, without notice, any course, major, minor or unit if the number of students enrolled falls below limits set by the University.

Regulations and Rules

Students should ensure they are familiar with the University's internal legislation, including provisions specifically relevant to their studies. See the University Regulation overview and view legislation online.