Handbook Public View

This page displays current curriculum information. For staff view, please login

Unit (2020)

Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2020 academic year.

Advanced Routing (ICT611)

Organisational Unit Information Technology, Mathematics and Statistics
Credit Points 3
Availability MURDOCH: S2-internal
Teaching Timetables Murdoch S2
Description This unit examines the advanced routing topics associated with the design and management of large-scale IP networks. The technologies covered are typically found in large corporate, government, telecommunication carrier and ISP networks. Topics include: Network design, verification plans, EIGRP, OSPF, IGP redistribution, policy-based routing and IP service-level agreement (IP SLA), BGP, IPv4 and IPv6 coexistence, and routing over branch Internet connections.
Unit Learning Outcomes On successful completion of the unit you should be able to:
ULO1. Create a network design that is stable and scalable
ULO2. Select and configure a routing protocol that best addresses the design requirements
ULO3. Troubleshoot routing problems using a systematic approach
ULO4. Manage Internet traffic according to organisational policy
Timetabled Learning Activities Lectures: 1 x 2 hours per week; Laboratories/workshop: 1 x 2 hours per week.
Unit Learning Experiences The approach to learning in this unit is focused on developing competencies in network design, implementation and troubleshooting through bringing together theory and practice. You will learn in lecture and labs; the lectures will discuss design theory, routing protocols, and troubleshooting techniques; the labs provide you with the opportunity to implement the theory discussed in the lecture. A case study is used to provide you with a platform to apply the skills that you have during the semester on a 20 to 30 router network. This unit will cover significant portions of the globally recognised Cisco CCNP Certification Curriculum.
Assessment You will have several assessment tasks to complete. There are weekly in class exercises which address the material covered in the current topic (collectively worth 20%). A case study is used to allow students to bring together bring together the theory and practical skills learnt during to semester. A practical exam weighted 30% will focus on the skills which students should have learnt while completing the case study. The final examination will focus on theory addressed in the unit and is worth 50%.
Prerequisites ICT535 Advanced Business Data Communications; enrolment in a graduate IT course or permission of the Academic Chair.
Exclusions Students who have completed ICT647 Advanced Network Design may not enrol in this unit for credit.
Appears in these Courses/Majors:
see individual structures for context
Internetworking and Security (ME+MIT)
Master of Information Technology (MIT)
Master of Science in Information Technology (MScIT) [New in 2020]
Internet Access RequirementsMurdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.

Contacts

Unit Coordinator
ICT611
Dr Mike Dixon
Senior Lecturer Telecommunications Management

Murdoch Campus
t: 9360 6086
e: M.Dixon@murdoch.edu.au
o: 245.1.023 - Science and Computing, Murdoch Campus
Unit Contacts
ICT611

MURDOCH: S2-Internal
Dr Mike Dixon
Senior Lecturer Telecommunications Management

Murdoch Campus
t: 9360 6086
e: M.Dixon@murdoch.edu.au
o: 245.1.023 - Science and Computing, Murdoch Campus
Fee Calculator
Handbook help
Information for Students

Cancellation

The University reserves the right to cancel, without notice, any course, major, minor or unit if the number of students enrolled falls below limits set by the University.


Regulations and Rules

Students should ensure they are familiar with the University's internal legislation, including provisions specifically relevant to their studies. See the University Regulation overview and view legislation online.