Handbook Public View

This page displays current curriculum information. For staff view, please login

Unit (2020)

Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2020 academic year.

Decision Neuroscience Neuromarketing (MBS690)

Organisational Unit Business
Credit Points 3
Description Covers general aspects of cognitive neuroscience focusing on how biological and brain processes can explain decision-making choices. Explores systematically how emotions influence consumer decisions; how somatosensory brain systems affect our preferences and economic choices; how imagination influences our product and service perceptions. How memory processes encode information, and how logical sequential information can influence certain purchasing decisions. Branding and self-image is investigated to understand how the brain organises self-identity and congruence with material and social achievements.
Timetabled Learning Activities The unit will be delivered in 6 whole day workshops during the semester (lectures, seminars, and practical activities included in each workshop). Each workshop is 6 hours and it includes active participation in case studies, discussions of journal papers, practical activities and formal lecture input from the unit coordinator. Each workshop has a detailed plan of activities and students will be informed each week before the workshops. The dates of the workshops will be announced at the beginning of each semester and are included in the unit guide.
Unit Learning Experiences The unit is delivered using blended learning design features with core unit materials provided in a digital format followed up by small class knowledge application and skills development. This is enhanced by self directed learning to further develop skills and application of knowledge to practical and current issues.
Other Learning Experiences Students participate in hands on research experience, using biometric and neuroscience research tools. Application of theories using personality instruments, learning styles and attitudes are also included in the program of application and research training. Students are able to do individual reflective reports, write research papers or do projects on a topic of their choice. All students will spend 2-3 hours of first-hand experience with other researchers at the Audience Labs exploring a number of biometric and neuroscientific research methods of acquiring research data. If possible, external guest speakers will be invited to bring a range of portable neuroscientific tools for demonstration and to discuss specialised research topics.
Assessment Three types of assessments:
1. Two reflective research reports (15% + 15% each report, 400 words each) totalling 30%. They assess general understanding of unit content; application of key theoretical concepts, analysis and evaluation of key theories delivered during the workshops.
2. Individual project/ research paper, worth 30% (1500 words). Ability to apply theories to an industrial/work problem; ability to conduct independent research, analyse data and synthesise information/knowledge to present coherent recommendations and conclusions.
3. The final exam is worth 40% (3 unseen questions, 300 words each question). Assesses overall knowledge gained during the course; ability to synthesise ideas and present a reasoned position on a given syllabus topic.
Prerequisites Nil.
Quota This unit is subject to quota. Quota is due to limited laboratory space. No admission requirements; students will be accepted until the quota is full.
Internet Access RequirementsMurdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.

Contacts

Unit Coordinator
No co-ordinators found for this unit.
Unit Contacts
No contacts found for this unit.
Fee Calculator
Handbook help
Information for Students

Cancellation

The University reserves the right to cancel, without notice, any course, major, minor or unit if the number of students enrolled falls below limits set by the University.


Regulations and Rules

Students should ensure they are familiar with the University's internal legislation, including provisions specifically relevant to their studies. See the University Regulation overview and view legislation online.