Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2019 academic year.
Web News Production (MCC217)
|Organisational Unit||Creative Media, Arts and Design|
|Description||This unit will prepare students for work in a fully converged news room. Students will collect, edit and script news stories in all three on-line formats; print, audio and video.|
|Unit Learning Outcomes||On successful completion of the unit you should be able to:
1. Distinguish the role of online media in the media landscape.
2. Distinguish the various aspects of online production.
3. Research, carry out interviews and write news and feature stories that will work on the web.
4. Produce suitable multimedia content for consumption through a news web site.
5. Select and present appropriate stories and other editorial material for a particular readership.
6. Carry out editing functions of a production journalist, including copy subbing, writing headlines, manipulating images and uploading
material to a website.
7. Discern legal or ethical problems that arise in publishing.
|Timetabled Learning Activities||Lectures: 1 hour a week; tutorials 1.5 hours a week.|
|Prerequisites||MCC104 Introduction to Journalism AND MCC105 Introduction to Radio. Highly recommended: MCC245 Media Law and Ethics.|
|Internet Access Requirements||Murdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.|
|No co-ordinators found for this unit.||Unit Contacts|
|No contacts found for this unit.|