Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2019 academic year.
Honours Topic in Photography A (PHO561)
|School||School of Arts|
|Availability||MURDOCH: S1-internal, S2-internal, Y-internal|
|Teaching Timetables||Murdoch S1
|Description||Creative Arts Research and Practice: The aim of the unit is to help Honours students attain a degree of cohesion between their creative practice and their linked creative research interests. It aims to support a research culture that enables advanced creative arts practice. Students will be working together towards a similar end, despite differences in creative work and research interests. It also introduces students to conference-style presentations of creative research: research undertaken to support the student's creative output.|
|Unit Learning Outcomes||1. Students create a research-based creative work of a high level of quality.
2. The student should attain a degree of cohesion between their creative practice and their linked creative research interests.
3. Ability to conduct research and create written work that demonstrates the student's ability to understand and reference current academic research in the area of the creative project.
4. Ability to conduct research and create written work that demonstrates the student's ability to reflect upon their own creative work and discuss it in terms of pertinent research.
|Timetabled Learning Activities||1.5 hours per week tutorial
2 x 1 hour personal consultations with tutor on practice, related research and exegesis
|Unit Learning Experiences||This unit combines timetabled learning through seminars and informal student presentations on their work in progress aiming to bring their production and research together. There is a strong self-study component to both the research and creative practice. The challenge is to keep to a disciplined approach to creating a critically informed body of work. Academics who have experience with carrying out their own research, supervising and examining theses, as well as being experts in their fields, will deliver the unit content and facilitate students leading discussion. Students are expected to read the core readings for each session and participate on a weekly basis (internal and external).|
|Other Learning Experiences||Presentation of Publication and oral critical introduction to creative project that draws on the exegesis. There may be field trips to view and discuss pertinent exhibitions.|
|Assessment||1. Creative Photographic Project (e.g. the production of a photobook) 50%
2. A Creative Exegesis on the Creative Project. The purpose of this piece of work is to evidence that a student has done extensive research that situates their project in relation to the photographic Canon. The exegesis should refer to the most important primary and secondary sources in the field. 30% (3000 words)
3. A presentation to introduce the Creative Project that draws upon the exegesis that constitutes it's publication in the public sphere. 10-15minutes 20%
|Prerequisites||Enrolment in an Honours course.|
|Internet Access Requirements||Murdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.|
|No co-ordinators found for this unit.||Unit Contacts|
|No contacts found for this unit.|