Handbook Public View

This page displays current curriculum information. For staff view, please login

Unit (2020)

Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2020 academic year.

New Testament Greek I (REL209)

Organisational Unit Creative Media, Arts and Design
Credit Points 3
Availability MURDOCH: S1-internal
Teaching Timetables Murdoch S1
Description This unit introduces students to the major features of Hellenistic Greek as reflected in the writings of the New Testament. On completion of this unit students should be able to recognise the more common grammatical structures and vocabulary of the language of the New Testament.
Unit Learning Outcomes On successful completion of the unit you should be able to:
LO1 Demonstrate the capacity to read Greek words and understand Greek sentences
LO2 Demonstrate a knowledge of a range of the most common features of New Testament Greek as described in Duff, J. The Elements of New Testament Greek (3rd ed.; Cambridge: CUP, 2005) Chapters 1-12.
LO3 Demonstrate a knowledge of Vocabulary of 300 common New Testament Greek words
LO4 Display skills required to translate selected passages from the Greek New Testament, and to analyse them grammatically, without memory or lexical aids
Timetabled Learning Activities Lecture/Tutorials: 2 x 2 hours per week.
Unit Learning Experiences The timetabled component consists of the completion of weekly translation and grammatical exercises. The lectures and tutorials are very interactive for those taking the unit 'internal' mode. Students reinforce what is timetabled twice a week with a variety of non-tabled activities such as use of their memory cards and 'take-home' exercises.
Other Learning Experiences There are weekly take-home exercises in translation and grammar.
Assessment The assessments include weekly exercises and quizzes by the students (10% of total); two supervised tests (40% of the total) and an end of semester written exam (50% of the total). Together these develop the students' capacity to pronounce Greek words and read sentences with a degree of fluency, develop a memorised vocabulary of the most common 600 words in the Greek New Testament, and develop the capacity to translate from Greek to English.
Prerequisites Nil.
Previously 2013: THE103
Appears in these Courses/Majors:
see individual structures for context
Master of Divinity (MDiv) [New in 2014]
Master of Theological Studies (MTS)
Appears in these Minors Religion
Internet Access RequirementsMurdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.


Unit Coordinator
Dr Suzanne Boorer
Senior Lecturer Old Testament

Murdoch Campus
t: 9360 6141
e: S.Boorer@murdoch.edu.au
o: 450.4.040 - Education and Humanities, Murdoch Campus
Unit Contacts

MURDOCH: S1-Internal
Dr Suzanne Boorer
Senior Lecturer Old Testament

Murdoch Campus
t: 9360 6141
e: S.Boorer@murdoch.edu.au
o: 450.4.040 - Education and Humanities, Murdoch Campus
Fee Calculator
Handbook help
Information for Students


The University reserves the right to cancel, without notice, any course, major, minor or unit if the number of students enrolled falls below limits set by the University.

Regulations and Rules

Students should ensure they are familiar with the University's internal legislation, including provisions specifically relevant to their studies. See the University Regulation overview and view legislation online.