Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2020 academic year.
Veterinary Professional Life II (VET684-09)
|Organisational Unit||Veterinary Medicine|
|Description||Veterinary Professional Life II focuses upon personal reflection and development of veterinary employability capabilities, including clinical professional skills, client communication, psychological resources and business awareness in a veterinary workplace setting.|
|Unit Learning Outcomes||On successful completion of the unit the student will have:
1. Used opportunities whilst on EME placements to gain further experience in performing practical techniques, within the limitations of the extramural experience programme.
2. Demonstrated the ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with veterinary colleagues, support staff and clients.
3. Demonstrated the ability to work effectively within a veterinary team and behave professionally at all times.
4. Understood and reflected upon the ethical issues surrounding clinical decision making in practice.
5. Understood, reflected upon and critically evaluated the processes involved in clinical decision making in practice, given the constraints of time, resources, and money.
6. Gained insight into the financial aspects of practice - both from a client and a practice perspective.
7. Taken responsibility for his/her own learning by goal setting and reflection upon the attainment of these goals.
8. Identified, reflected upon and taken measures to actively improve his/her employability capabilities.
|Timetabled Learning Activities||1 x 3-hour workshop in VET684-09 (scheduled for the last Friday prior to start of 5th year rotations)|
|Unit Learning Experiences||The VPL Workshop (group assessment) takes place the Friday prior to the start of 5th year rotations.
The 14 weeks of extramural placements are not timetabled and are undertaken over a 2.5 year period from end of the fifth semester of the BSc-DVM course through to the end of the course, during non-teaching time.
|Other Learning Experiences||14 weeks of extramural placements in non-timetabled time, to be completed prior to the end of VET684-09 at the end of 5th year.
6 weeks of placements (and the required documentation) must be completed prior to the end of VET684-03. There is no requirement for these placements to be recorded as a 'Pass' at the end of VET684-03.
However, students must have successfully completed 14 weeks of placements (and the required documentation) prior to the end of VET684-09.
|Assessment||The assessment tasks for VPLII relate particularly to veterinary employability. Assessment in the VET684-03 and VET684-09 units take a variety of forms. The majority if the assessment includes a group oral presentation, and a portfolio of written work directly related to employability and clinical practice. Each Extramural Clinical Placement (as assessed by external placement providers) must be passed to pass the unit.
The following items must be completed for VET684-09. Those items completed in VET684-03 will contribute to the total VET684 unit grade.
|Prerequisites||VET684-03 Veterinary Professional Life II|
|Appears in these Courses/Majors:
see individual structures for context
|Internet Access Requirements||Murdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.|
Associate Professor Cristy Secombe
Academic Coordinator (TAHMU)
t: 9360 7517
o: 260.2.067 - Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Murdoch Campus