Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2020 academic year.
|Organisational Unit||Medical, Molecular and Forensic Sciences|
|Availability||MURDOCH: S2-internal (quota of 80 places)|
|Teaching Timetables||Murdoch S2
|Description||This unit details our understanding of blood cell formation and function and how these are disturbed in various disease processes including anaemia, coagulopathy and haematological malignancy such as leukaemia and myeloma. Blood transfusion techniques and applications are developed, including serological techniques, blood grouping, antibody screening & identification and compatibility testing.|
|Unit Learning Outcomes||On successful completion of this unit you should be able to:
1. Understand and identify the fundamentals of blood cell morphology
2. Understand and identify haematological changes in routine blood disorders such as leukaemia, iron deficiency, infection and haemophilia.
3. Understand the fundamentals of the ABO and Rhesus Blood Group systems and their their application in blood transfusion
4. Describe the processes involved in both thrombotic and haemophilic disorders, and describe the testing algorithms used in routine coagulation laboratories to diagnose these conditions.
5. Demonstrate practical laboratory skills that reinforce theoretical understanding of the above learning outcomes including:
a. Blood film morphology investigation
b. Blood grouping using ABO and Rhesus typing, antibody screening and identification, and compatibility testing
c. Coagulation testing for the identification of underlying clotting and bleeding phenotypes.
|Timetabled Learning Activities||Lectures: 3 hours per week; laboratory sessions: 3 hours per week.|
|Unit Learning Experiences||This unit provides a sound biological basis in haematology. It covers three main areas i) Blood composition and cell biology, ii) transfusion medicine, encompassing blood grouping, antibody screening and identification, and blood donor compatibility and cross matching, and iii) coagulation. The unit content is delivered in 34 lectures with 12 laboratories that complement and practically extend the unit's learning objectives. Content also includes on-line resources hosted via LMS. The unit further benefits from the input of medical laboratory scientists from industry who present specialist lectures from a workplace perspective.|
|Assessment||Students will demonstrate the knowledge and skills identified in ULO 1-5 developed in five assessments: 1) Laboratory reports - students will record results of laboratory experiments in scientific format and further develop understanding by researching answers to practical questions posed in each laboratory session. On-line quizzes will be used for assessment (10% of overall unit assessment); 2) Mid semester practical exam assessing the first four laboratory classes (10% of assessment); 3) Mid semester theory exam assessing the first four weeks of lectures (20% of assessment); 4) End of year practical assessment on the last eight lab classes (20% of assessment); 5) End of year theory exam assessing all material presented in laboratory and lecture classes over the whole unit (40% of final assessment).|
|Prerequisites||BIO152 Cell Biology/Foundations of Cell and Molecular Biology/Foundations of Cell Biology.|
|Notes||To pass this unit, students are required to 1) achieve a final mark across all assessments of 50% or greater overall 2) demonstrate laboratory skill competency by achieving an average of 50% or greater average for the practical components. These include the Mid semester practical exam, End of year practical exam and Laboratory reports/quizzes.|
|Quota||This unit is subject to quota. Quota is due to limited laboratory space and equipment. Preference will be given to students enrolled in Clinical Laboratory Science (BSc); Laboratory Medicine (BSc/BLabMed).|
|Appears in these Courses/Majors:
see individual structures for context
|Internet Access Requirements||Murdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.|