Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2019 academic year.
Foundations of Marketing (BUS183)
|Description||This unit provides an appreciation of how marketing creates value for business, society and customers. As the foundational Marketing unit, it introduces students to the marketing organisation and planning process, marketing research and information gathering methods and some of the analysis tools marketers use. Unit topics include the marketing function, the marketing organisation, marketing information systems, product development, pricing and buyer behaviour. The unit describes the importance of marketing to the strategic planning of an organisation.|
|Unit Learning Outcomes||Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Apply the key elements of the marketing process to the operation of a business organisation
2. Determine some of the challenges facing a marketing department, and develop an appreciation of the problem solving and decision making methods that are available to tackle the everyday business issues
3. Apply the 'marketing mix' to various marketing challenges
4. Develop cross-cultural, interpersonal and communication skills
5. Demonstrate skills of cooperation and collaboration.
|Timetabled Learning Activities||Workshops: 2 hours per teaching week
All offerings of this unit include the equivalent of 30 hours of structured learning.
|Unit Learning Experiences||The unit is delivered using blended learning design features with core unit materials provided in a digital format followed up by small class knowledge application and skills development. This is enhanced by self directed learning to further develop skills and application of knowledge to practical and current issues.|
1.Workshop participation 10%
2. Group case study analysis and verbal presentation 25%
3. Mid-semester test Individual 25%
4. Final exam Individual 40%.
1. Workshop participation 10%
2. Case study analysis and Powerpoint presentation 25% - external
3. Written assignment 25% - external
4. Final exam Individual 40%
|Exclusions||Students who have successfully completed BUS169 Principles of Marketing may not enrol in this unit for credit.|
2013: 'Principles of Marketing'
|Appears in these Courses/Majors:
see individual structures for context
|Appears in these Minors||Marketing
|Internet Access Requirements||Murdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.|
|No co-ordinators found for this unit.||Unit Contacts|
|No contacts found for this unit.|