Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2020 academic year.
Technique I (CHI338)
|Organisational Unit||Psychology, Counselling, Exercise Science and Chiropractic|
|Teaching Timetables||Murdoch S2
|Description||This unit will help students further develop their clinical and patient management skills so that the student may become a competent intern. This Unit concentrates on the common presentations and orthopaedic examination and diagnosis of orthopaedic disorders of the appendicular skeleton and the therapeutic interventions for these disorders|
|Unit Learning Outcomes||On successful completion of the unit you should be able to:
1. Recognize common upper or lower limb complaints and use its clinical skills for their differential diagnosis.
2. Apply anatomical and biomechanical knowledge to the extremity joints.
3. Understand the pathological processes of the various extremity conditions.
4. Demonstrate proficient techniques in the mobilisation/manipulation of extremity joints.
5. Demonstrate proficiency in performing and understanding the underlying mechanic of common orthopaedic tests relating to extremities pathological conditions.
6. Assess a person with an extremity injury using orthopaedic tests.
7. Have a comprehension of the meaning of the different orthopaedic tests.
8. Assess a person with an extremity injury and recognise the contra-indications, red flags, psychosocial factors and the contributing mechanical factors.
|Timetabled Learning Activities||Lectures: 3 hours per week; Laboratory: 3 hours per week|
|Unit Learning Experiences||Lecture content of weekly topics is delivered face-to-face or online where necessary, with the opportunity to discuss components of the material and ask questions. This presentation allows the student to achieve the graduate attribute of in-depth knowledge of their chosen field of study. Workshops (practicals) provide students with an environment to develop and practice their practical skills related to the weekly topics further re-enforcing their understanding and knowledge of the weekly topics presented in lectures and tutorials. They additionally aim to encourage active participation and to engage in the weekly topics and assist in the development of graduate attributes such as communication, critical and creative thinking, social interaction, independent and lifelong learning, ethics, global perspective, interdisciplinarity|
|Assessment||1. Midterm practical - 15%
· In this examination, students are expected to proficiently demonstrate mobilisation/manipulation, as well as the orthopaedic assessment for the upper limb.
2. Final practical examination--25%
· The final practical assessment is aimed at testing students' knowledge and application of both upper and lower extremity orthopaedic and technique (mobilisation--manipulation).
The practical assessments are a combined must pass at 70%
3. Final Theory examination--60% (55 % must pass)
The final theory examination will cover all material presented in lectures (Theory and Practical) including any provided publications (reading materials). The format will consist of both short and long answer, multiple choices, and true or false questions. The examination will be 2 hours in length
|Prerequisites||Enrolment in Chiropractic Science + Clinical Chiropractic (BSc + BClinChiro) and successful completion of Years 1 and 2.|
|Appears in these Courses/Majors:
see individual structures for context
|Internet Access Requirements||Murdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.|