Handbook Public View

This page displays current curriculum information. For staff view, please login

Unit (2020)

Information on this page, including unit offerings, is from the 2020 academic year.

New Testament Greek II (REL210)

Organisational Unit Creative Media, Arts and Design
Credit Points 3
Availability MURDOCH: S2-internal
Teaching Timetables Murdoch S2
Description This unit completes the student's introduction to New Testament Greek, provides practice in translation of selected passages and an introduction to New Testament textual criticism. On completion, students should be able to read the New Testament in Greek with the assistance of standard aids.
Unit Learning Outcomes On successful completion of the unit you should be able to:
LO1 Demonstrate enough proficiency in the koine Greek language to be able to translate any Greek New Testament text into English
LO2 Demonstrate proficiency in Greek vocabulary to an intermediate level by recalling the most common words in their various forms
LO3 Demonstrate skills in comparison and analysis of the grammar of any Greek New Testament text without the help of lexical or memory aids
LO4 Demonstrate the ability to critically interpret these texts in depth
Timetabled Learning Activities Workshops: 2 x 2 hours per week.
Unit Learning Experiences The timetabled component consists of the completion of weekly translation and grammatical exercises. Students reinforce what is timetabled twice a week with a variety of non-tabled activities such as use of their memory cards and 'take-home' exercises.
Other Learning Experiences There are weekly take-home exercises in translation and grammar. Students do a variety of non-tabled activities such as use of their memory cards and 'take-home' exercises. Students also follow aural English readings of the New Testament while visually reading the same passage in their Greek New Testaments.
Assessment The assessments include 4 x handwritten translation activities from the textbook (20% of the total); two supervised in-class tests (30% of the total); and an end of semester written exam (50% of the total). Together these develop the students' capacity to read sentences with a degree of fluency, develop a memorised vocabulary of the most common 600 words in the Greek New Testament, and develop the capacity to translate from Greek to English.
Prerequisites THE103 New Testament Greek I or REL209 New Testament Greek I.
Exclusions Students who have successfully completed THE203 New Testament Greek II may not enrol in this unit for credit.
Previously 2013: THE203
Appears in these Courses/Majors:
see individual structures for context
Master of Divinity (MDiv) [New in 2014]
Master of Theological Studies (MTS)
Appears in these Minors Religion
Internet Access RequirementsMurdoch units normally include an online component comprising materials, discussions, lecture recordings and assessment activities. All students, regardless of their location or mode of study, need to have access to and be able to use computing devices with browsing capability and a connection to the Internet via Broadband (Cable, ADSL or Mobile) or Wireless. The Internet connection should be readily available and allow large amounts of data to be streamed or downloaded (approximately 100MB per lecture recording). Students also need to be able to enter into online discussions and submit assignments online.


Unit Coordinator
Dr Ric Barrett-Lennard
Honorary Research Associate

e: rbarrettlennard@gmail.com
Unit Contacts
No contacts found for this unit.
Fee Calculator
Handbook help
Information for Students


The University reserves the right to cancel, without notice, any course, major, minor or unit if the number of students enrolled falls below limits set by the University.

Regulations and Rules

Students should ensure they are familiar with the University's internal legislation, including provisions specifically relevant to their studies. See the University Regulation overview and view legislation online.